Soil Erosion & Sedimentation Control (SESC)

Soil Erosion Controls
Soil Erosion

A permit may be required from the Environmental Health Division if:

  • The construction project is for a permanent dwelling, large-scale addition, and/or an agricultural/accessory building
  • The project involves disturbing soils over an area of one (1) or more acres
  • The project is within 500 ft of a lake, stream, drain or wet land

To have a SESC permit issued, you will need the following:

Full SESC Application Package

Additional individual forms and fee information are below:

  1. Completed SESC Application (PDF)
  2. Site Plan Checklist (PDF)
  3. Designated Agent Assignment Form (PDF) (if applicable)
  4. Site Plan Drawing (PDF) showing soil piles and silt fence
  5. Fees (PDF)
    • Plan Review
    • Permit
    • Inspections (1 per month)
    • Cash Bond or Surety Bond
You can email completed forms to and then call to make payment over the phone. If you do not want to make payment over the phone you can stop in with payment or send a check through the mail to:

Jackson County Health Department
Environmental Health

1715 Lansing Ave, Room 001
Jackson, MI 49202

Click on image to see full SESC schedule

10012020 Soil Erosion Sedimentation Control Fee Schedule


After you have applied and paid for your permit a sanitarian will review the submitted information and materials for completeness and/or visit the site. A permit will then be issued via email, fax, or mail to the applicant and homeowner.  A copy of the permit shall be posted on site for the duration of the project. Once the project is completed (permanent stabilization measures are in place) the responsible party should contact the Environmental Health office to request a final inspection. Upon an approved final inspection, the office will process the return of the cash bond to the current responsible party.

Transfer of Responsibility:

If during the duration of the project the responsible party changes, a Transfer Responsibility Form (PDF) should be filled out and filed with the Environmental Health Office.


Frequently asked Questions (PDF) has additional information on Soil Erosion and Sedimentation Control permits, why soil erosion and sedimentation control is important, reviews requirements and explains control measures.