Water Testing

Drinking water

Testing Your Drinking Water

Have concerns about your drinking water in your home or business? You can test the water! 

Our office offers 3 water testing kits from the DEQ Drinking Water Laboratory. You pick these bottles up from our office, fill them up at your home or business and then ship them to the DEQ lab for testing.
  • Bacteriology

    (Unit 30)
    • Tests for Coliform Organisms & E. Coli (Unit 30)
    • $16 test + shipping/handling
    • 30 hour EPA hold time for tap water
    • Preservative table 
  • Lead

    (Unit 36ME)
    • Tests for Lead
    • $18 test + shipping/handling
    • Typically 48 hour EPA hold time
  • Arsenic

    (Unit 36ME)
    • Tests for Arsenic
    • $18 test + shipping/handling
    • Typically 48 hour EPA hold time
Included in the kit is a bottle, a request for water analysis form, an envelope to send payment, and a box to ship the water test to the Lansing lab.

Partial Chemistry (Unit 32)  is a common test. The Health Department no longer offers this bottle due to new regulatory requirements. Please contact the state lab at 517-335-8184 to have them ship you the bottle.

  • Tests for Fluoride, Chloride, Hardness, Nitrate, Nitrite, Sulfate, Sodium, Iron
  • $18 test + shipping/handling
  • Typically 48 hour EPA hold time


Do NOT bring water into the Health Department.

The Health Department does not have a laboratory on site and will not send out your sample.

There are over 60 tests which can be performed during the testing, and should receive results from the DEQ Laboratory within 3-10 business days. Contact the local lab at 517-335-8184 or review the DEQ website for further information on drinking water including the current fees, order forms, how to read test results and local certified testing labs: http://www.michigan.gov/deq/0,1607,7-135-3307_4131_4155---,00.html

Type II Wells

Noncommunity Water Supply

What is a Type II well? A type II well is a water system that provides water for drinking or potable purposes to 25 or more persons at least 60 days per year or has 15 or more service connections.

Review the DEQ website for additional noncommunity water supply information including fees, violation history, history of safe drinking water and more: http://www.michigan.gov/deq/0,4561,7-135-3313_3675_3692---,00.html   

If you have a Type II well and need to order nitrate/nitrite and bacteriology testing bottles please call the DEQ Laboratory at 517-335-8184 to have tests shipped directly to your address.  If you have any questions about frequency of testing please call our office to talk to the Type II Coordinator.