News & Upcoming
- WIC Nutrition Program
- JCHD Strategic Plan Review
- MI Bridges - Apply For Benefits
- Health Disparities - HP 2020
Wed Aug. 22
Sat Aug. 25
Wed Aug. 29
Sat Sep. 1
Mon Sep. 3
Sat Sep. 8 - Sun Sep. 9
WIC – Nutrition Month Program Highlight
The Women, Infants and Children (WIC) Program is a federally funded supplemental food and nutrition program designed to prevent malnutrition in women, infants and children who qualify.The program is funded by the U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA)
WIC helps the following:
· Low income pregnant and breastfeeding women
· Women who have recently had a baby
· Infants and children up to 5 years of age
WIC provides the following services and options to ensure malnutrition is not a factor and both baby and mom have a healthier outcome from pregnancy through the beginning years of a child's life. Services provided include:
· Supplemental nutritious foods such as milk, cheese, eggs, juices rich in Vitamin C, peanut butter, whole grain breads and cereals and fresh fruits and vegetables
· Nutrition Education specific to each client's needs
· Screening for other health problems and/or needs and providing referrals/resources as identified by WIC Program Staff.
Visit the Jackson County Health Department WIC Page or call (517) 788-4484 for more information.
The Jackson County Health Department will not deny participation in its programs based on race, sex, religion, national origin, age, or disability. State and federal eligibility requirements apply for certain programs.
In addition, six priority areas, 12 objectives and 53 possible strategies have been identified as the most meaningful and impactful way to improve Health Department, as well as support community health improvement efforts.
Review the full Strategic Plan here or read the one page Summary Strategic Plan.
MIBRIDGES is more user friendly and offers more services.
Watch the following video to get more information about the MI Bridges Benefit Program for Michigan. To sign in and apply for benefits go to this site: